November 19, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches

I love going out to run errands, knowing dinner is at home cooking itself. That is the magic of slow cookers.

Even though my slow cooker is in need of a.. well, I need to throw it away and get a new one. Mine has seen better days. It's 2 years old, but I don't know the life expectancy of a slow cooker to know if that means it's time to buy a new one. I just know it.. I can feel it in my gut. That and the lid doesn't have a handle and I burn myself every time I try to pry it off. So that blows.

Today Joey and I went to Old Navy to buy our winter coats. It's pretty much been in the 60-70's here lately, so a winter coat hasn't been necessary. But with Thanksgiving being next week, I knew I was tempting fate not having a winter coat that fit.

Old Navy was having a sale on their outerwear.... 75% off! That is HUGE! But that also meant I was battling against every other woman in the metro area because Old Navy's are few and far between out here. I finally snagged one that I adored (after fighting like 5 overzealous moms and their ridiculous strollers for a mirror)... and it was the only one of its kind! I think it was an online return because it didn't have a tag either. Oh well, score for me! :)



I also got some pretty cute gloves.. they weren't on sale, but I am such a glove freak. I hate having my fingers covered. I feel like I have no range of motion when I have gloves on. Even things like locking my door or fumbling in my purse for my chapstick become The Hardest Thing Ever when my fingers are clothed. So these pretty gloves don't have finger holes at all. I love that!

Anyway, while we were out shopping (and saving $150 on outerwear... thank you Old Navy!), we had Chicken Caesar sandwiches cooking in the crock pot. When we came home, all we had to do was shred the chicken, add the fixings and wait another 30 minutes for it to get all hot and gooey. 


Ingredients! Yes, we are cheapos.

Shred that chicken.


 Combine the above mentioned ingredients and chicken into the crockpot.

Make it into a delicious blurry sandwich.


SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CAESAR SANDIWCHES
source: The Girl Who Ate Everything


2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 cup Caesar dressing
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley OR 2 teaspoons of dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
lettuce, for topping
buns


1) Place chicken in your slow cooker with 1-2 cups of water, cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.


2) Remove chicken from cooker using a slotted spoon and drain the water from the slow cooker. Place chicken on a cutting board and pull chicken into shreds, discarding any fat.


3) Place chicken back in the cooker and pour dressing, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper over the top. Stir until mixed evenly. Cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes or until mixture is hot.


4) Spoon 1/4 cup mixture onto your buns. Top with extra shredded Parmesan cheese and lettuce to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment