October 21, 2011

Matt Nathanson - 10.18.11


I really don't even know how to begin this blog. In fact, I've actually been putting this off for a couple of days.I just don't think what I am going to say will accurately portray the emotions I felt at this concert. Or actually any feelings that I get upon hearing anything related to Matt Nathanson.


I've been a fan of this man since, oh I'd say probably 2001. That was my freshman year of high school. I was 14 years old. I was a huge nerd. I also loved Good Charlotte. I'm now 24 years old. I'm a married woman. A college graduate. I have learned that Good Charlotte is (and was) terrible. (I am probably still a huge nerd.)

The only similarity is that my love for Matt Nathanson has stayed strong. Beneath These Fireworks has remained my favorite album, although his most recent Modern Love is a strong contender. Some Mad Hope was phenomenal, but in my opinion, Beneath These Fireworks is the best thing out there.


This would only be my second time seeing him in concert.

He came to town for a special show at a local University (with another one of my long-time favorites- Jack's Mannequin) in 2009 and a friend got me and Joey into the show at the student price. Honestly, that was the best show of my life. It was a more intimate setting because it was only really accessible to students and faculty and it had limited public knowledge. The set was shorter, obviously, but seeing those two in concert together was really a life-changing experience.

This show was up there in terms of mind-blowing. Seeing him in his element, singing the songs I know every word to and have felt every emotion for... this is what music is all about. This is what is supposed to happen when a musician or artist is your "favorite"- an absolute connection to the person on that stage. I even felt a connection with his band. They were making these songs come alive. They were all my best friends that night, even if they didn't know I was in the crowd.

I am so grateful I was able to go to this show, and at my favorite venue in the city. It was a truly magical night and I hope that you get the chance to see your favorite artist/band/musician at some point in your life. It really is the most incredible experience.

I saw a photo of the set list on Twitter*, so I am posting a copy here.
*This is not my picture.


Honestly, go check his stuff out. You won't be disappointed. If you are disappointed, then I'm sorry you feel that way.... but I hope you can at least agree that seeing music come alive is one of the best things out there in this sad, sad world. And to that, I drink.

Who is your favorite band or artist? Have you seen them in concert? Was it the best thing....ever? Leave me a comment below! 

1 comment:

  1. Jimmy Buffet was my favorite artist way back when I was you age. I went to every concert of his when he performed in New York. Seeing musicans sing live really is the best!

    ReplyDelete